Friday, November 11, 2005

Being Loud

O.K., O.K., O.K. I hear everyone. I'm being loud. I'm being brash. I'm yelling on the InterNet and in person. I'm angry. I'm not just angry, I'm ballistic.

I stand accused of all of the above. Clearly, I see things as more serious than almost the entire coterie of my associates.

What to do when faced with this? Well, I promise to tone down my internet entries. No more flaming caps. No more shrillness.

However, I continue to feel that the situation is grave. I continue to think that we, the American people, have abrogated our responsibility to rein in our government and military. I do not think that we will escape from the present situation unscathed. It is hard for me to see how we can continue with "business as usual." And I think that we are leaving a legacy of guilt for our children.

9 comments:

Redjalapeno said...

Don't hold back Doc, that's not healthy.
You're not alone.

Shout it out, do what you gotta do, just don't let it get control of you, if that makes any sense.

I've gotten less tolerant and more bitchy to people myself. I even apologized to everyone in departmental meeting on Wed.

Don't hold back, it's healthy to let it out.

Dr. C said...

Thanks, R.J. Its just that I can't seem to find any way to change things. It was so much easier in 1968!

Anonymous said...

Ever work on a campaign? It wouldn't end global warming or stop innocent people from being killed around the world. But it's something productive and manageable.

Probably less satisfying than helping a sick kid--so don't stop doing that. But it does have the advantage of being connected to something bigger (even if it is just a local school board race).

Having said that, I"m inclined to think that anger is good. We're way too passive. Where was it that people took to the streets over a bogus election last year? Ukraine? And what were we all doing here while they were in the streets over their election? Nothing.

Steve Hill

Dr. C said...

Thanks Steve, Comments well taken.
Worked on Eugene McCarthy's campaign in New Hampshire, 1968 (cold). Will work on three campaigns this year. Maybe things will change.

Anonymous said...

what campaigns, if you don't mind my asking.

Steve

Dr. C said...

Steve,
Ben Cardin (Senate)
Hillary Spence (House of Delegates)
Probably O'Malley.
I like them all.

Redjalapeno said...

GO DOC!

I have to agree with the campaign thing. Going to the Peace Rally in DC totally gave me some much needed hope and inspiration.

You still gotta yell though.

ps: do you ever show those kids that draw the crabs their work on the internets?

Anonymous said...

great on the campaign work. I'll have some choices to make about what campaigns will get my time.

Duncan
Franchot (running against Schaefer for Comptroller)
local guy running for Prince George's County Council
Rushern Baker for Prince George's county exec.

And how I'll do that when I continue to work too much, have two kids who need their dad at home, and a future spouse who probably wants to see me too.

Steve

Dr. C said...

Lets talk about Duncan vs. O'Malley. Andy Sonner is a good friend of mine. He has some wisdom on this but I don't remember it. I'll try to track it down.