Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Just Whose Sister City, Mr. Hitchens?

Of course it was during a blinding sandstorm. That explains all.
From HERE:
Baghdad Mayor Is Ousted by a Shiite Group and Replaced
By JAMES GLANZ
Published: August 10, 2005
BAGHDAD, Iraq, Aug. 9 - Armed men entered Baghdad's municipal building during a blinding dust storm on Monday, deposed the city's mayor and installed a member of Iraq's most powerful Shiite militia.

The deposed mayor, Alaa al-Tamimi, who was not in his offices at the time, recounted the events in a telephone interview on Tuesday and called the move a municipal coup d'état. He added that he had gone into hiding for fear of his life.
Yes, it is really true. Mr. Hitchens berates us for not taking up Baghdad as a Sister City. Or Samarra, as the case may be. A car bomb is a car bomb.

Of all the crazy ideas. He's been reading to much John O'Hara.
Appointment in Samarra

A merchant in Baghdad sent his servant to the market. The servant returned, trembling and frightened. The servant told the merchant, "I was jostled in the market, turned around, and saw Death.

"Death made a threatening gesture, and I fled in terror. May I please borrow your horse? I can leave Baghdad and ride to Samarra, where Death will not find me."

The master lent his horse to the servant, who rode away, to Samarra.

Later the merchant went to the market, and saw Death in the crowd. "Why did you threaten my servant?" He asked.

Death replied,"I did not threaten your servant. It was merely that I was surprised to see him here in Baghdad, for I have an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

No comments: