Saturday, March 12, 2005

Mr. Tamborine Man

My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet,
And I am weary. I'm weary of War, and weary of all the lying. All I see stretching out ahead of my Country is more of the same. An endless War in Iraq, an hypocritical attack on Social Security, promises of cuts in Medicaid and other services for the poor, more accretion of money for the wealthy and stiff the middle and lower class, the insurance-pharmaceutical company juggernaut rolling over health care providers and patients, the environment in shambles, our foreign policy in shambles, and so many other screw-ups one can't begin to count them.

Many of us pledged ourselves to the Democratic Party in the last election. When Joe Biden votes for a credit card bill that benefits MBNA, we know what little difference the rank and file mean to the fat cats of both parties. Damn the proles; full speed ahead.

There is a story I heard recently that dates from WWII. Storm troopers are marching off a cliff because the command structure was so rigid they had to have a order to stop and that had gotten lost in the shuffle. The punch line was that the captain, who didn't have to march over the cliff, was still upset, because he didn't get a chance to say "goodby."

Sometimes I think that we are trapped in a long farewell.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

No comments: