Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Guernica


The bombing of Guernica was an aerial attack on April 26, 1937, during the Spanish Civil War by planes of the German Luftwaffe "Condor Legion" and subordinate Italian Fascists from the Corpo Truppe Volontarie expeditionary force organized as Aviazione Legionaria. The raid was called Operation RĂ¼gen and resulted in widespread destruction and civilian deaths in the Republican held town of Guernica, Basque Country.

In any case, a number of people variously estimated between 250 and 1,600 were killed in the air raid and many more were injured. (emphasis added)
There is no mention of the town being able to fight back in any way.

Picasso, the painter of the famous picture commemorating this event said:
“ The Spanish struggle is the fight of reaction against the people, against freedom. My whole life as an artist has been nothing more than a continuous struggle against reaction and the death of art. How could anybody think for a moment that I could be in agreement with reaction and death? ... In the panel on which I am working, which I shall call Guernica, and in all my recent works of art, I clearly express my abhorrence of the military caste which has sunk Spain in an ocean of pain and death." (emphasis added)
This morning we have:
Israeli planes, tanks hit Gaza


EREZ CROSSING, Gaza Strip - Israel fired missiles and sent tanks on a foray into Gaza on Wednesday, killing four Palestinians in the deadliest military action since Hamas militants took control of the coastal strip.
There is no mention of the Palestinianians in Gaza being able to fight back.

I clearly express my abhorrence of the military caste which has sunk Spain the Mideast in an ocean of pain and death.

No comments: