Friday, June 03, 2005

Star Wars - A Tragedy

Well, I went to see the last(?) Star War flick last PM. Its hard to imagine that it has been 27 years since the first one. After that, the name was co-opted in the 80's for the still extant insanity of a missile shield. It has been a strange experience.

While the first Star Wars was almost plausible, this one was not. That is, the disconnect between the technology and the action was acute. As some wag pointed out, how come they didn't know Padmé was carrying twins? Didn't they have ultrasound in that galaxy far, far away? And the birthing scene? The nurses in my birthing center are going to comment for me.

The hilarity started right away when the half a star ship was coming in for a crash landing. They actually had another "fire ship" come up next to it and spray water on it! I know this gave all those fire fighters in the audience warm feelings.

There is no doubt in my mind that the underscript of the story was a commentary on the Bush Administration. If, and it is a big if, we survive, we will look back on this as pretty hilarious. It isn't now. But, I won't dwell on the ironies. Just the pity (thank you Aristotle).

1 comment:

Redjalapeno said...

Never have seen an entire Star Wars movie.

I've heard rumblings from the wingnuts that this movie is anti-Bush but I think the timeline of the production of the movie may counter that.

Not sure, didn't see this movie or any of the rest of them, so I really cannot give credible commentary either way.

In other news, last night I had tataki for the first time and it was damn good. It may well be my new favorite right behind uni and taco. (you have Friday Crab blogging, I have Thursday night sushi fix)