Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Power of Oversight

As usual, Glenn Greenwald hits it on the head. Today he post on the glaring lack of action by the "Democratic" Congress when it comes to exercising their power of oversight of the administration. I think I first picked up on this years ago when bloggers would refer me to Henry Waxman's numerous letters to the administration (e.g. to Colin Powell, Rice, Cheney, Bush, etc.) asking for explanations for their usual, outrageous behavior. I never remember seeing an answer. I still, to this day, do not understand how an official in this administration can ignore such letters. Not only is it rude (ha! ha!) but it subverts, as Greenwald points out, the very basis of our representative government.

Congress is the only check on an "administration gone wild." It is becoming increasingly obvious that BushCo is going to get away with murder. Literally.

No comments: