Monday, December 19, 2011

Mindbender

My friend across the pond posed the following:


So, being a baby wonk, I constructed a table:

This consists of numbers 1-98, the sum of the digits, that sum * 17 +1. The difference between the result at the first number. This gives the following plot:

As you can see, rather than ever having a zero value, it is monotonically increasing (in a sort of interesting way).

So, I doubt if one can find such a number.
Unless, on simple adds the number of digits as in this table:

Clearly the only number that would fit is 35 since by the time one gets to six digits the sum*17 + 1 is only 103.

I haven't looked at the answer. I'm probably wrong. In which case, I will slink away.

Ah, Ha! The Wizard across the pond shows me up. Of course I didn't extend my calculations beyond 100. If I had, I would have gotten the following graph of the difference:





What appeared from 1 to 99 as a dull, monotonically increasing pattern was part of a bigger pattern going the other way. (I should take it beyond 1000.) 

When the difference is taken gives this graph:





So, I slink away.

3 comments:

maldives tours said...

Hey! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely enjoying the information.

biningshao said...

Microsoft Office 2010 is a good value product, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote, though if you already have Office 2007 the differences are few.

qifei2012 said...

Popular Monster Beats by Dr. Dre headphones Studio Kobe Bryant Headphones on Sale is becoming increasingly popular among all age groups, especially among those youngsters crazy about music. Wherever you go, it is absolutely your faithful companion. It allows you to experience the music exactly the way the artist wants you to. Developed through the collaboration of the latest digital technology and the most favored music elements, Popular Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Studio Kobe Bryant studio headphones on Sale bring a professional producer's feeling to music fans.